The Unique theme is a translation-ready, magazine-style WordPress theme. Here’s a list of some of its features:
- 6 layout choices.
- Integrates its theme options fully into the WordPress theme customizer.
- 18 highly-configurable custom widgets for several sidebars.
- 3 menu locations that use the WordPress menu system.
- Unique designs for all 9 post formats.
- Support for multi-author sites.
- Over 40 custom page templates.
- Flexslider jQuery script to handle slideshows.
- Smart breadcrumbs that handles tons of permalink setups.
- Numbered pagination (instead of previous/next links).
- A powerful thumbnail/image script.
- Fully internationalized, so you can run the theme in any language.
- Image attachment script that prints image data (camera, focal length, etc.).
- And, much more!
Dynamic and customizable
The theme is extremely dynamic and bends to the user’s desire. For example, you can use all three nav menus, one, two, or none at all. The theme will recognize this choice and work flawlessly. Sidebars work the same way. You choose how you want to use the theme.
You can even choose between 6 different layout styles (you can set these globally and on a per-post basis):
- 1 column
- 2 columns (content / sidebar)
- 2 columns (sidebar / content)
- 3 columns (content / sidebar / sidebar)
- 3 columns (sidebar / content / sidebar)
- 3 columns (sidebar / sidebar / content)
For code-savvy users, you can extend the layout system to create an unlimited number of layouts.
It was created with best practices and coding standards in mind. It’ll be hard to find many themes built with the same attention to detail within the code. For users, this means you’ll probably not run into conflicts with other code. The theme was developed to play nicely with properly-coded WordPress plugins.
Unique was built for the future of the Web. It uses best practices in HTML5 and CSS3 . It also uses a number of future-proof techniques that will make it easy for me, the theme author, to extend it with new features in the future without breaking your site.
Help and support
If you need help beyond what’s included in the theme instructions, you can register at Theme Hybrid to use the theme’s support forums. This is a community of over 30,000 people and includes support for all my themes and plugins.
Who built the theme?
The Unique theme was created and is maintained by Justin Tadlock. I am a developer with over 8 years of experience, a member of the official WordPress.org theme review team, and co-author of Professional WordPress Plugin Development.
What you get in the download
Three items come packaged in the download:
unique.zip: The theme ZIP file to upload to WordPress.
readme.html: Instructions for using the theme.
psd.zip: Photoshop files of the theme’s images.